Saturday 16 July 2011

Balduccis – Italian Restaurant with pizza that will rock your socks off

Pizza… what would life be without it? Sad
Balduccis-150x150

There’s nothing as traumatic as a pizza base that’s the Italian equivalent of 4 pizzas piled with every topping that can be chopped or sliced from the local supermarket. Go to Italy and experience the true delicious simplicity with which pizza should be made. In South Africa (and probably everywhere that’s not Italian) it has become common culture to have a minimum of 3 or 4 toppings on your pizza and to mix and match them in a strange and not always-so wonderful combination. In Italy your options range in 2s, basic and very simple. You want to add pineapple? Cosa??? Don’t even think about it, you’ll probably go hungry best case- worst case- the mamma del casa will hunt you down. They make the pizza, you eat it.

We came across Balduccis by complete accident. Walking around the V&A Waterfront and craving pizza as one does, we wandered past the restaurant. It looked friendly enough and the delicious aromas enticed us closer. Now I know I had a little rant about pizza toppings and I have to admit that more than 3 combinations can still be amazing, and personally I think an extra portion of rocket on almost every pizza is a necessity. 

 

This Italian Restaurant offers some of the most unique pizza toppings I have found in Cape Town. For those who like to explore Italian Restaurants for new and interesting pizzas this is definitely the place to be. I was debating between the pizza Perla- Gorgonzola, walnuts, rocket and truffle oil (need I say more??) and the Milanese – Bacon, blue cheese, brie, walnuts, rocket and avo. I have to say I opted for the Milanese and replaced the walnuts (just not a fan on pizza) with truffel oil. So far I think one of the best pizzas I have had in Cape Town. The base was perfectly thin, crispy and light and the flavours complimented each other perfectly. I will definitely be coming back for more – I noticed porcini mushrooms and white truffle oil on the menu… They also serve a variety of other options on the menu ranging from seafood, meat, creative pastas and a royal sushi bar. I’m not sure where they rank as a Sushi Restaurant in Cape Town but I would definitely return to try their pasta or seafood dishes. This quaint Italian Restaurant is just tucked away at the end of the docs and is set apart from the bustle of the main plaza. Service was a little slow and it is probably more of a summer restaurant than a place to get cozy in winter. As for more than 3 toppings… rules are made to be broken!

 

T +27 21 421 6002

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your thoughts and comments